Monday 9 June 2008

3rd June 08

Date: 3rd June 08
Location: Cardboard box backpackers, Windhoek, Namibia
Weather: Clear blue skies and sunshine, 26°c
Status: Sad to be leaving the group.

Its days like today that I hate, after 3 months of being together, training together and travelling the long road from Ghana Bre and I have to go our separate ways for the time being as I head to Durban for the Comrades and she continues with the family and Kees onto Botswana and South Africa. We’ll meet up again in around 6 weeks but departures and goodbyes have never been my strong point and it was hugely difficult to leave the group whom I’ve spent so any good times with over the last 2 months on the road.

At 9am I pulled out of the backpackers gates with Bre in tears and me not far behind, hiding things behind my sunglasses. This bit sucks…….

Onto the road south and east with the destination being Sossusvlei in the Namib NP around 300kms away. Alex my good Aussie friend has decided to join me for the trip across to Durban and she’s now the navigator for the time being, with Patrick, Sarah and James in the Nissan still with us as they complete the final leg of their journey home to SA.

The road was stunning, gravel and well graded but passed through some mountain passes which took our breath away. Photos galore and then as the sun was about to set we pulled into the car park at the Sossusvlei dunes, booked a campsite and lit the fire for the evenings warmth and food. Since dropping this far south, and today we even moved out of the tropics for the first time since Senegal, the temperature in the evenings drops down to below 15°c….yikes!!

Had dinner and bed as up early tomorrow for sunrise at the dunes….


End of day location: Namib NP, Namibia
Distance covered: 314kms

No comments: